There are a number of different options for searching records, getting copies of certificates and researching ancestry in Cardiff:
- View birth, death and marriage certificates. Apply for copies of certificates
- Search birth, death, marriage and census records using Ancestry or Find My Past.
These websites are only accessible via a Library PC. Book a session on a library PC.
Printing documents is charged at standard print costs.
- Visit Glamorgan Archives.
Cardiff burial records
You can also get records of the burial of family members in Cardiff for the following sites:
- Cathays, Western, Pantmawr, Radyr, Llanishen, Llandaff and Thornhill Cemeteries from 1859 onwards.
- Thornhill Crematorium since it opened in 1953.
- Partial records for Adamsdown Cemetery. Records for burials showing name, occupation, address and age of the person buried.
Computer records from 1912 onwards for all cemeteries and the crematorium can be searched on your behalf free of charge.
We can search older records for a fee if we have enough information to carry out the search.
We do not hold records for:
- Llandaff Cathedral
- other Cardiff churchyards
- cemeteries, crematoria or churchyards outside Cardiff
What we can provide
- Copies of burial orders for each successful search for burial records.
- Copies of receipts for purchases of graves for each successful search for burials prior to 1912.
- Maps and plans of graves to help with grave location.
- Genealogy searches.
You may conduct a search in our records room in Thornhill by appointment, subject to an hourly rate. Contact Cardiff Bereavement Services.
What we cannot provide
- Copies of grave deeds.
- Copies of records relating to cremations as these records are not accessible to the public in the same way as burial records.