The emergency legislation that was approved by the government to allow telephone death registrations is due to end on the 24th March meaning we have to revert to face to face registrations from the 25th March. We are still asking the hospital or GP surgery who has dealt with the death of your loved one to email the Medical Cause of Death Certificate to our office along with next of kin contact information and a registrar will then call you to arrange an appointment to attend our office and register once the paperwork has been checked.
If you haven’t heard from us within 2 days of the hospital/surgery advising they have sent us the paperwork please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the deceased, their date and place of death along with your name, relationship and contact telephone number.
In order to register a death you will need to complete the following steps.
Register the death in the district where the death occurs
To register a death you must be:
- a relative of the deceased,
- someone present at the death,
- a senior administrator where the death occurred, or
- the person instructing the funeral director.
You must come into the Cardiff Register Office in person to register the death. If this is a problem for you, please call 029 2087 1680.
Appointments take around 30 – 45 minutes, although in some cases the registrar may have to refer to the coroner which could mean that the registration may be delayed.
You will need the following information at your appointment:
- date and place of death
- full name of the deceased (maiden name if appropriate)
- date and place of birth of the deceased
- deceased’s occupation and the full names and occupation of their spouse
- deceased’s usual address
- whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension from public funds
- if the deceased was married, the date of birth of the spouse
- National Health Services number of the deceased, if known, or the medical card itself, if available, should be handed to the registrar. Please do not delay registration if the medical card is not available.
Arrange the funeral
You can find out more about arranging a funeral in Cardiff on the Cardiff Bereavement Services website.